Docker is open source software that helps in creating, deploying and managing application containers on a common operating system. Docker is actually a company that supports commercial edition and most of the open source tools. This is a container tool that packages and runs containers independent of the OS. Container packaging is available within all operating system. Thus container packs the application service or function with libraries, configuration files, bin and other operating commands or files. Actually docker was created to work on the linux platform and later it was extended to support other operating systems independent of linux system.
What are the advantages of Docker?
Docker is actually standard platform that allows user to create, deploy and oversee containers across the hosts.
- It has highest portability degree that can be registered and shared from various hosts in private and public environment.
- This has efficient application development.
- It uses lowest resource.
- When compared with virtual machines, it has faster deployment.
Some of the challenges with docker are
- Thus huge number of containers in an enterprise is difficult to manage and security is also a problem.
- Containers share host operating system, rather than logical segregation.
- When a malware attack or flaw occurs, then the operating system can comprise of all the underlying containers in the OS.
- There are some organizations that run with virtual machine, but it is necessary to have VM while having docker.
Docker comes in two packages like community edition and enterprise edition which includes basic, standard and advanced options from a software system. So, you are in the plan of installing docker? If so, here is the docker installation instructions and tutorial.
Fundamental software supporter necessities are
- As docker do no support out dated version, make sure to have update operating system. If you prefer installing in CentOS, have the updated version 7 to continue installing.
- Have a user account in CentOS with Sudo access.
- Internet and terminal access
- Extras repository to enable default system
Steps to install Docker
- Uninstall older version of centOS
- Update OS repository
- Install dependent software repositories
- Add docker repository
- Install docker with sudo command
- Manage the docker services
Docker software installation is an easiest method when installing in centOS compared to Ubuntu. In centOS many of the repositories are installed and configures by default.